Learn Chinese with a screensaver 🖥
I built a Chinese 'word of the day' screensaver for macOS to help with learning Mandarin. It works by displaying Mandarin Chinese words + definitions (in English).
As well, it also displays the pinyin and tones. So, when my computer goes to sleep, the monitor turns off and I can still learn new words as I walk by.
It also serves as a useful reminder throughout the day to keep learning.
- Learn Mandarin using word lists from HSK 1 - HSK 6 (levels of fluency*).
- Displays pinyin, tone, (simplified) character, and English definition for each word.
- Words rotate every 10 seconds.
- Compatible with multi-monitor setups (displays on all monitors). *More information on HSK levels can be found here.
- Download the screensaver, unzip it, and double click on the .saver file.
- Select HSK list you want to learn in macOS Settings
- (Optional) Set a hot corner to activate the screen saver
This project was inspired by macOS's built-in Word of the Day screensaver (which unfortunately only supports English and Japanese).
If you think of any improvements or run into issues, feel free to create an issue on GitHub (or even contribute to it!).
Last Updated: Tues Nov 22 2022