Best Chinese screensaver for learning 🖥
I built a simple, modern, and high-quality Chinese 'word of the day' screensaver for macOS to help with learning Mandarin.
It works by displaying Mandarin Chinese words, alongside English definitions.
As well, it also displays the pinyin and tones. So, when my computer goes to sleep, the monitor switches the screensaver on and I can still learn new words as I walk by.
It also serves as a useful reminder throughout the day to keep learning.
- Learn Mandarin using word lists from HSK 1 - HSK 6 (levels of fluency*).
- Displays pinyin, tone, (simplified) character, and English definition for each word.
- Words rotate every 10 seconds.
- Compatible with multi-monitor setups (displays on all monitors).
How to get started
- Download the screensaver (opens in a new tab), unzip it, and double click on the .saver file.
- Select HSK list you want to learn in macOS Settings
- (Optional) Set a hot corner to activate the screen saver (opens in a new tab)
This project was inspired by macOS's built-in Word of the Day screensaver (which unfortunately only supports English and Japanese).
I've also open-sourced all of the code and files/resources for this screensaver on GitHub (opens in a new tab).
If you think of any improvements or run into issues, feel free to create an issue on GitHub (opens in a new tab) (or even contribute to it!).
Best of luck on your language-learning journey.
Last Updated: Tue Feb 21 2023
Looking for more posts?
My Monthly 4-1-1
Tech-centric newsletter with 4 thoughts, 1 personal win, and 1 hack